Wednesday 25 May 2016

Ana'al-Haqq

Ana'al-Haqq

Not a fleck of beauty, 
Crossed the hem of your face,
To leaven my imagination such mundane.

So turn me infidel,
To another world outside you;
And blind to the sight of truth,
Other than you, if.

Hoo'al-Haqq!
Rooh'al-Haqq!
Ana'al-Haqq!

[He is truth! Soul of truth! <and therefore> I am truth!]

Dwelling in (upon) you,
As a smitten anomaly,
I am in your restraint.


NOTE – Mansur Al-Hallaj was a famous Sufi of the 10th Century who was executed (skinned alive and hung by the neck) for having stated: "Ana'al Haqq" which means "I am the Truth".
The orthodox called it a blasphemy, thinking that he was claiming to be God himself, whereas he was only proclaiming in a state of sublime spiritual ecstasy, a total annihilation of 'self' (his Ego). What he meant was that he mattered not; all that mattered was He (God).

No comments:

Post a Comment